Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Paper Bakery Sketch Challenge

Oh Lordy, has it been awhile!
And working on scrapbook layouts IS NOT like riding a bike. A bike really doesn't change much over the years...not so much for scrapbooking.  Project Life Like has been such a fun thing to start, so I decided why not try a 12x12 layout or two (and because I DO vendor at scrapbook retreats I had better appear legit!).

Since the scrapbook world has come so far since Mrs. Grossman's stickers and circle cut photographs, I decided I needed a sketch to help me out.  What better place to find one than my favorite kit club, The Paper Bakery (http://www.paperbakerykits.com/)?   They are hosting a sketch challenge which can be found here:  http://www.paperbakerykits.com/2013/07/sketch-challenge-9/  until August 9th.  Here is a picture of the sketch I used:




Granted,  I am a member of their fabulous Capture 365 kit club, but I did order an an add-on recently that included more things for actual scrapbook layouts (it was the June Scrapbook kit, Bayside High...loved it!). Hopefully you can see some of the items I used from the kit on my layout in all the goodies shown below.


I am new to using kits so I included a lot of other things (I really need to work on getting better at using these kits and have since dedicated my LIFE :) to watching You Tube videos with the hopes of doing just that...mercytiara--I heart her!).  I think I am supposed to keep a list or something of all the things I used, but since I am sooooo super new to this whole idea of a kit, I am feigning ignorance and will pull my blonde card if need be.  I have never done a challenge before either; look at me getting my feet all kinds of wet!  I hope I did Sarah and the rest of the girls at The Paper Bakery justice.  The good in it all is that I had a blast doing the layout.  I loved getting my hands dirty with something other than altered items and "example" items of the classes I teach at the LSS.
Yeah, I am totally rambling so that I prolong the inevitable...showing my layout.  I haven't exactly built up my confidence yet so this feels somewhat like looking in the mirror while wearing a bikini that is 4 sizes too small after eating a huge pizza lunch complete with beer and dessert on a day when my body parts haven't seen the sun in months.  You know, one of those moments in which you wish your contacts would fail or that the department store would somehow lose electricity.  Okay, okay....be gentle (and squint...squinting helps!).


And yeah, I got all "gansta rap" on my child's layout, but I am okay with that.  And guess what else?  I totally did this layout INSTEAD OF THE LAUNDRY!!  I am okay with that too :).  Thanks for checking this out and go try the challenge at The Paper Bakery too...INSTEAD OF THE LAUNDRY!

14 comments:

  1. It can be hard to get started again after taking a break, but it looks to me as though you are on a great start! Great layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am beginning to wonder if soooo much new product can hinder the process as opposed to help it. When scrapping, it is easy to get bogged down in staying not only current, but also trendy. Hmmmmm...things to ponder INSTEAD OF THE LAUNDRY!

      Delete
  2. Your layout is awesome! Looks like you never took a break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I would love to say that it was no sweat to hop back on that bicycle, but that would definitely be an exaggeration! It is all about preserving the memories and I am trying to keep that in mind. I think I can, I think I can...

      Delete
  3. What a great start to getting back into the swing of things! Your take on the sketch is fabulous and thanks for playing along with us at Paper Bakery!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Juliana. I loved using your sketch; it was uber inspirational. I will definitely be looking for more sketches and challenges over at Paper Bakery!

      Delete
  4. Love that title! The page turned out fantastic! I think the ones of use that do project life when we do a scrapbook page it enhances what we do. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tina! My next blog will be about the cardinal sin I am about to commit with Project Life...I know you are waiting in anxious anticipation :) NOT! You are right though, it enhance what we do and what we do is all about the memories! Thanks for reading!! xoxoxoxo Heather K.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Love your take on the sketch and the mix of papers here. Looks GREAT! Thanks for playing along with us at The Paper Bakery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! I loved using a sketch for the first time and will definitely try it again (as I am learning you don't have to be quite as exact as I was :)). Love the Paper Bakery!! Thanks for checking out my blog! xoxoxxo Heather K.

      Delete
  6. I would soooo rather make a layout than do the laundry too ;) Thanks for Playing along at the Paper Bakery, love your layout!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The name of my blog could have sooooo been any number of household chores but laundry seems to top the list! I can't wait to play with PB again soon!

      Delete
  7. Ok, how adorable is this!!! You did a great job with the sketch and the kit! Perfect way to jump into scrapbooking a full layout again. Thanks for playing along with us at PB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love PB so it was an honor to play! I can't wait to try the new challenge because I love that sketch too. Thanks for being so inspiring!

      Delete